Thursday, November 16, 2006

The weekend and beginning of the week were tiring, and emotionally draining. However last week the weather was beautiful and I got to ride my beautiful and sound Sonny. He behaved well.

The weekend and beginning of this week were tiring because of the goodbye ceremonies for Sean's dad. The viewing lasted on Sunday from 2-4 and 6-8. I attended church that morning and ate lunch at church. Then I left the church right after the 1:00 service and went to Ott's Funeral home in Irwin. I went unsure of how long I would stay. I went early though because I wanted a chance to talk to Sean and I knew that as people started to get there things would get crazy. So I went in, and signed the book. Then I went up to the receiving line. His sister Debbie was first and he was next to her. I thought of shaking his hand but his eyes and body language seemed to be asking for a hug. So I smiled with my eyes and put my arms and hands out for a hug. He hugged me for quite a while and kept patting my back with both of his hands. His emotion and desire to reach out to someone for support were communicated to me through his hug. Then he introduced me to his sister, Debbie. She smiled and said I've heard so much about you. It's always Charlotte, Charlotte, Charlotte. She said that we need to go out for dinner sometime, that she had been trying to get Sean to invite me to go with her and him. I told her that he had told me and I had been surprised that she even knew about me. Then I greeted and gave a hug to Patty and her kids Clayton and Crystal. Then I got to another boy, and they told me it was Quinton. I didn't even recognize him and his mother Carol, I didn't recongize her either. When Sean reminded them of when they came out to see Gusty Wind then they all remembered. Carol said she remembered my face. Both Quinton and Clayton seemed excited remembering the memory of that visit. Then I got to his mom. The others told her that I am Charlotte, Sean's friend. She gave me a hug and said thank you for coming dear. Then I noticed a man next to her. They introduced him as Jerry, Sean's brother and Patti his wife. We politely shook hands and said hello. Sean's great nephew, 4 3/4 year old Nathan was sitting on a chair behind the receiving line drawing on a piece of paper with a pen. He had no activities to do and his mother was trying to watch him and greet people at the same time. I had brought some sticker books for him. I asked his mother and grandmother if I could give some gifts to Nathan. They said yes go ahead. Then I sat down with him and showed him the presents. He like them, so I asked if I could stay and watch him while they did the receiving line. So I stayed with him until 4 o clock when the viewing hours were over. He enjoyed looking at the books with me. A great number of Sean's church friends came. Many of them came as a result of my phone calls. Our singles friends who came included Lisa Lundie, Carol and Carl Benson, Joe Leurquin, Annamarie Keller, Louise Dufford, Ellen Procter, Jonathon Procter and his girlfriend and her cousin. Also Amy and Jayson showed up as well. Jim Kelly called Sean to offer his condolences on Saturday. The church people who showed up were: Eichelbergers, Halfertys, Millers, Parkers, Me, Meinerts (?), Mom and Dad. Herky Pollack showed up sometime when we weren't there or aware of him and he left a substancial financial cash gift. Every visitor was a great comfort and encouragement to Sean. He was very thankful to me for making all the calls. I did not tell him all of whom I called so there were some suprises that came in the door.

When Jeff came through he prayed with Sean, Pat, Clayton, & Crystal. At first the room remained noisy with chatter, but then as people realized they were praying all of the immediate family bowed their heads and closed their eyes and the noise in the room quieted until all we could hear was Jeff praying.

Later they needed to go get the food from Friendship and I offered to go get it and drop it off at Sean's mother's house. They said that would be great. Sean said I could stay and eat. However I wasn't sure how comfortable I felt doing that. Once I got the food and delivered it Patty and another family member asked me to stay and eat with them, so I did.

I stayed and ate with them. The family was very kind to me. Mike came later and stayed until about 5:30 which was about the same time that I left. Sean's sister Debbie commented on how Friendship did more for them than their church did. I told her people at Friendship are loving and kind and genuine. She said and Sean is a member of that church. Like she was very proud of that fact.

I went to Procters after that because I had told Ellen that I would be over. Jonathon was gone but Louise, Ellen and Annamarie were there. It was good to see them again. Then I went back to the funeral home and stayed about an hour.

I got home around 8 pretty tired out and emotionally drained. I left the house again around 8:30 to get to the funeral home by 9:30. I got there around 9:15 before most of the family except for Carol and her son. Sean was glad to see me there. Every looked so sad. Then the priest came and the family was in the room with the casket and the other people were in the next room. The priest said some prayers and then instructed friends from the next room to come in and look at the body one last time, then the family each looked at him one last time. Then we went to our cars, a bagpipest played a couple of songs including Amazing Grace last and the Pall bearers (Sean was one) carried the coffin to the hearse and then got into a limo and a car. Then everyone drove to the church, the mourners parked right by the church and went in and sat at reserved seats then after a while the pallbearers brought the casket in and they parked it in the middle aisle right in front of the "altar". Then the priest said the mass. Then the pallbearers took the body out and the mounrners followed. They put the casket back in the hearse and then got into the cars/limo. Then we drove to the cemetary .."union circle" I think. We drove way far back into there..then we parked and the pall bearers carried the coffin up to this small paviolion tent with no side and sat it on a stand. It was a hard carry up the little hill with several 2 teenagers and 2 older men in addition to Sean and his brother carrying the casket. Some of the crowd could get under the awning and the rest stood outside in the grass. Sean and his family sat across from us facing us and the casket with an aisle between them and the casket. The priest said some stuff, then the miltary from the American Legion did some honors, shot their guns and folded and presented the flag to Mrs. Cody. Then Patty White and Pat Cody sang "Danny boy" everyone was given roses, the mourners laid a single rose on the casket then the family did , as we the friends walked down to the cars, the family. I saw them looking at and leaning against the coffin. I saw Sean come down the hill, looking bad. The emotion was flowing from his body as he was doubled over...sobs coming from within his body and tears out of his eyes, but not a fullfledged balling like a woman might do. He double over briefly a couple of times. I had thought about getting into my car and either going home or meeting them at Carol's for lunch as they had asked us all to do, but I thought I better see him before I left. So I had started up there, but when I saw his emotion I walked even faster back up that small hill to him. We met and I just murmured "hey you, hey you" like I would to a small child and put my arms around him he held me too. I could feel his body wracking with sobs and his head leaned lightly against mine. I told him "it'll be ok, it'll be ok". He said "I know" through his emotion. The words we spoke did not matter, it was the act of being a comfort and sharing his burden that mattered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home